Bird Watching


Timber Wolf asked: "I need to know what is the best camera for bird watching. I would also like to know what brands of binoculars are great for bird watching too."


A1: Jonatan J replied: "i recommend canon a650
it has wonderful options: 12.1 megapixel
6x optical zoom, etc"

A2: zitless replied: "The answer to this question is like the answer to 'how long is a piece of string'? (twice as long as half it's length)
It's all down to a number of factors, the most limiting of which is your budget.
By way of guidance, go for the best known brands, then look at price, and finally, coinsider how much use you will give the item.
Brands to look at in bino's are Swarovski, Pentax, Canon, Nikon.
In cameras there's more choice.
Good shooting!!"

A3: ISBN51499 replied: "Most any camera that has a big lens, meaning 10X or more on a P&S or up to 300 - 500mm on a DSLR.
For binoculars, any 8X/10X should be good enough. I like Leupolds because of their lifetime warranty."

A4: muncie birder replied: "For taking fotos of birds, you require a long telephoto lense with image stabilization or a tripod. You did not mention the amount of money you desired to spend. You can spend a lot of money on both a camera and binoculars.

Relatively inexpensive cameras that will work in many situations are the Canon Powershot S3 or S5. Both have 432 mm lenses and 6meg and 8meg images respectively. The large image formats come in handy when cropping the large image down to a 4x6 that just shows the bird. Adobe Photoshop is a must. Others in that category are the Kodak P712 and Kodak Z610.

Now among the more expensive cameras but also much more versitile are the Canon Digital Rebel but you will have to buy the lense separately. Still reasonably priced. The Canon 30D and Canon 40D. Now we are beginning to talk big bucks. A decent image stabilized lense for one of these will cost about $500 for a 70-300mm image stabilized Canon lense. A Canon 100-400mm image stabilized lense about $1300.

Binoculars:

Among the best are the Swarovski 8.5x44 at about $1900 and the Nikon LXL 8x42 Premiere at about $1300.

Most birders prefer 8 power for the wider field of view but many do use 10 power. If you do not wish for the "best" there are plenty of good binoculars that are less expensive. You receive about 10% better performance for a doubling of price. And many times the better performance is not too noticable in most situations.

Exceptionally good pairs of binoculars for the price are Bushnell Legend 8x42 at $250, Eagle Optics Ranger 8x42 at $300, Swift Audubon 8.5x44 Porro at $349, Votex Razor 8x42 at $699 (these are generally rated very highly by those who have them)"





sharkmadgamer asked: "I have been shopping around for a camera with long zoom and good megapixels for bird watching. However, all the cameras I searched for sacrifice picture quality for mega zoom. Any suggestions for super zoom cameras under $500?"


A1: Koko replied: "Canon S3IS. It is a really good camera, takes really good pictures but I do not think it will be enough for bird watching for zoom purposes. Maybe a tame bird you can get a good shot at but wild birds you may not be able to fit the frame with it. Thats why pros have 600mm lenses with a 2X converter at the end of the lens."

A2: TomTom replied: "kodak z612 is a good choice.
olympus is coming out with a new one in about a month
go to website and check it out"





spookyjimjams asked: "I live in Southern California, but I was also curious where others like to go. I think my favorite bird is the brown pelican. Not only are they just amazing to just look at, but I love watching them feed."


A1: margecutter replied: "I used to live on the East Coast, but now I live in the Midwest. I have had the opportunity to see a wide variety of birds. I think my favorites are the raptors - specifically Bald Eagles, Ospreys, Red-tailed Hawks, Kestrels and any type of owl.

I also love the cranes. We live near areas where we can see the Whooping Cranes and the Sandhill Cranes in the summer and fall.

Shorebirds I loved to see back East, and can not see as often here include the American Avocet, the Black Necked Stilt, the American Oystercatcher and the Skimmer.

Of the backyard birds at my feeders, I love the Northern Cardinals, the Blue Jays, the Gold Finches, the hummingbirds and the Orioles.

The one bird I have gotten to see out here that is considered a "pest" bird is the Magpie. I am fascinated by them, as I never saw them back East.

But I guess my absolute most favorite bird, ever since I had the opportunity to work with some at the Avian Rehabilitation Center where I was a volunteer back East, is the Common Loon. The are so haunting! I am glad that they are so much easier to find and observe here in MN than they were in NJ!"

A2: boybirder replied: "I live in the North West and i like to go to Nisqually Wildlife refuge. In fact I was there yesterday. I saw a virginia rail for the first time!!!! It was so NEAT! There were also hundreds of Cedar Waxwings witch I enjoy. Another bird I enjoyed was the Wood Duck. I look forward to them every time I go there. I also seen a Cinnamon Teal with its babies. I also saw a huge bull frog ( Its not a bird but i thought i would mention it)."

A3: Kelly C replied: "I like to bird watch everywhere, I live in Northern Ontario, Canada. Birdwatching at any of the hundreds of lakes around here is pretty rewarding I see alot of Common Loons, Hooded Mergansers, Bald Eagles, Black Ducks, Great Blue Herons, Spotted Sandpipers, (it sure is fun to watch a "teeter-tail" lol) and I absolutely love to watch Barn Swallows skimming the water for insects, they are so cheeky and fiesty I saw some chase a hawk away one time.. Another bird that I have recently seen more of is the Caspian Tern.. It was amazing when I was down at this creek by my house there was a Caspian Tern flying around and then he dove straight into the water which was spectacular! I love the call Loons make it is beautiful, and another bird with an interesting call is the American Bittern... I have only seen one once but I hear them alot they make the craziest sound you can imagine, listen here if you want..

Also I love watching fields for birds.. I used to watch Sandhill Cranes which was awesome they also make a neat sound and they are lovely birds, especially when they get dancing and calling their rattling cry its spectacular!
Fields also sport alot of American Kestrels, and Northern Harrier Hawks which are just great fun to watch gliding over the fields scanning for prey, they are beautiful birds as well.

Some small birds I love to watch are American Goldfinches, Common Redpolls, Pine Siskins(they crack me up when they spin upside down to eat out of the feeder), Purple Finches, Chickadees, Red-breasted Nuthatch, White breasted nuthatch I call them little beepers cause they make beeping sounds and the White breasted makes a sound like a cellphone sometimes its uncanny. Another favorite bird of mine is the Brown Thrasher.. they are striking birds with an unmistakeable call that just blows your mind with its variation and complexity..
The Veery is one I have been tryong to see but I havent caught a glimpse of one yet, but after a long search I found that they are the mystery "rainbow bird" that I kept hearing and loved the sound of.. I dont know why but their song prompted me to call it a rainbow bird just because thats what the sound made me think of..
Also White throated sparrows, White crowned sparrows, Crows, Ravens,
Geez there are so many birds I love ot watch and hear I enjoy watching them all I guess.. some are more interesting to hear and some to see."

A4: birdgirl replied: "I also live in So. Cal and do birding as a job (I am an ornithologist) and I also bird as a hobby. (I know..I'm pretty obsessed) Good birding in So. Cal include:
Salton Sea
Big Morongo Nature Preserve
Huntington Park
Bolsa Chica
Newport Back Bay
Sepulveda Basin Wildlife Refuge
Malibu Creek State Park
Descanso Gardens
Huntington Gardens
Eaton Canyon
Rancho Santa Ana Botanical Gardens

I also bird in my yard...I live up in the mountains and have Black-headed Grosbeaks, Stellar's Jays, Acorn Woodpeckers, White-breasted Nuthatches, and hummingbirds at my feeders right now.

I also go up north at least once a year to bird in the Morro Bay area.

My favorite bird:
Western Tanager"





SWTSGR asked: "How do you view this hobbie ?"


A1: boker_magnum replied: "It doesn't belong in the hunting category for one thing."

A2: Lisa L replied: "Mr= GR: Do you consider this Bird Watching a hobbie, or do u

consider it hunting??


Again you are a
Bad Boy!!


PS You are still tooooo cute"

A3: hill bill y replied: "this hobby can be very rewarding have you gotten with in camera range of a sand hill pretty cool birds and as a hunter my self it helps to hone ones stalking skills"

A4: dangrunert2002 replied: "Its a good hobbie as you learn to distiquish birds in great detail and can be used to hone your stalking skills by inching yourself closer to the birds. Its a gooder"





cloeismycat asked: "what other things do you have to attract bird in your yard?"


A1: get real bebe replied: "You can buy a stick of seeds and honey at a pet store and hang it on a tree. The birds love it."

A2: Weekend Warrior replied: "We've always had a bird bath in your back yard but we recently brought a puppy in so now she scares all the birds away."

A3: nwendellbriggs replied: "We have several different bird feeders to attract different types of birds. we try to put them in some kind of natural situation. The feeder for the humming birds is hidden in a pot of flowers, it really seems to work well. We also have a ball of strings that the birds can take to use in nest building."

A4: laurelanne31 replied: "I enjoy watching birds but don't have a feeder. I tried that but the feeder was horrible. It wasn't cheap either but it performed like it was. Anyway, in the winter, if I see the Quail around, I like to put some seed out on the ground or on top of the snow for them. I get lots of others coming in so it is nice. I make sure I put it far away from trees or anything that can disguise a predator coming.
I have been told that in the summer you can use a half of an orange and attach it to your tree for orioles. Just remember that it will attract bees and wasps too.
You can enjoy hummingbirds using a feeder. Please keep in mind though that when hummingbirds use a feeder their lives are shortened. It is better for them if they use live flowers for nectar instead of the human made stuff.
So research the bird, and see if the flowers they prefer will grow in your area and be ready for next year.

Pine cone, covered with peanut butter and then seeds and hang in a tree is a good treat for many.
Suet cakes can be hung in the tree as well. You can buy them at a store.

Now, if I could only find a way to stop birds from crapping on my car!"

A5: Fixguy replied: "It's very enjoyable!
You should get a book on the birds first
I recommend "A field guide to the Birds
By
Roger Tory Peterson

It will help you know what you’re looking at and it has good pictures and descriptions
You don’t have to feed birds to enjoy them but you’ll see far more if you try a little feeding
I’ve set out Budgie gravel Millet cakes with seed. Niger seed, Stale dry bred and other treats like dried corn.

Keep in mind that other animals will be attracted to the feast and you may want to consider squirrels raccoons rats mice and many other types depending on if you live in an urban area to a city.
Get a good pair of binoculars and a digital camera to log the birds you have found.

You could also do as I have and buy a few birds for your house so you can interact with them on a higher level
Teaching a budgie or a parrotlet tricks is truly a joy.
Check out these links for a sweet couple of birds."

A6: silver2sea replied: "We live in Arizona so water is critical, especially this time of the year. We have a bird bath that is made out of resin (sp?) and surprisingly the water doesn't heat up even in 118 degree temps if it is kept in the shade. I wish my patio furniture was as cool!

Also, during the hot days frozen fruit or veggies are a special treat but you have to be sure and remove the leftovers before they spoil.

Have fun with the birds!

Silver2sea"

A7: Seyla replied: "you no you could always put peanut butter on pine cones and put seeds on the peanut butter"

A8: Richard C replied: "Yes we enjoy bird watching, we have a bird bath, it needs to be cleaned and have fresh water once every two weeks. We also have four feeding stations close to the bath. the birds seem to like having these things close together, as for your feeding stations there is a wide choice in foods. You should learn which birds are is in your area and plan accordingly. You may want to think about adding a few bird houses also for them to nest in. If you start feeding them on a regular basis please remember to keep food for them Feb Thur April as they have eaten all of the seeds from the last year and plants have not started to grow yet, this is a tough time for them. enjoy birding!"

A9: parakeet lover replied: "A water fountain can attract them."

A10: Mimik replied: "I like to bird but I don't have a feeder. I just take a walk to the nearest park and bring a pair of binos. Backyard birding can be fun too though."

A11: birdgirl replied: "I have a hummingbird feeder and a suet feeder. I get lots of different species at the suet feeder: Stellar's Jay, Acorn Woodpecker, Black-headed Grosbeak, Oak Titmouse, White-breasted Nuthatch, and just had an Oriole show up the other day. I also have robins, doves, Mountain Quail, and Band-tailed Pigeons that forage in my yard. It really is a lot of fun to watch them."

A12: spookyjimjams replied: "I only have a balcony, but I keep a humming bird feeder out there. I had a finch feeder, but the nasty neighbors complained that it was a health issue.

Otherwise, I am an avid birdwatcher. I go out about 3 times a week somewhere!"





sngcanary asked: "My husband and I are doing a week long trip to Paris. We will not have a car and I would like to do a morning of birdwatching somewhere in the city that can be reached by train or bus. We are staying in Montemarte. Any ideas?"


A1: Baiocchi replied: "Try those the two biggest parks :
- Bois de Boulogne (South West)
- Bois de Vincennes (South East)

Or inside Paris Montsouris Park (14e arrondissement) and Buttes Chaumont (19e). But they're not big..."





hi!!! asked: "i really want to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
seems really fun!"


A1: funny chick replied: "get a bird feeder, make some popcorn, and sit there and look at birds all day"

A2: a.j.j. replied: "It is really fun.

Amature here.

What I did was I bought a bird book (Roger Troy Peterson) and binoculers and whenever I went camping I looked, and when I saw a new bird, I wrote down in the book when and where I saw it.

Enjoy!"

A3: John W replied: "Buy Binoculars find a forest and look up and watch birds go by. It's a very easy sport very inexpensive, no protection needed..."

A4: Grammy V replied: "This is a wonderful hobby! I've been doing this for years and I still enjoy it! There are always new birds to encounter. I started as a young girl with the little golden book of birds. I still have my original copy and I love it. Another good book is the Audubon book. Do get binoculars - and my best advice is to be patient. You most definitely will be rewarded. A terrific magazine that you would love is "Birds and Blooms". It has no advertisements and it is loaded with bird pictures, identifications and information. I look forward to every issue that comes."

A5: birdgirl replied: "Contact your local Audobon chapter, they usually have weekly bird walks. This will help you to get some ID tips, find good birding spots in your area, and meet other people interested in birds. It is a lot of fun. Also, many traveling opportunities as there are bird festivals in many different states. Also, if you want to do some backyard bird watching, get yourself a seed feeder and a hummingbird feeder. Happy birding."

A6: ascalila replied: "learn as much as you can about local birds, the more you know the more interesting their behaviour will be"

A7: Aquila replied: "Buy a pair of binoculars and a bird spotting guide from a local bookshop and have a wander round the countryside."

A8: replied: "I recon the best way would probably be to get ouy there & watch some birds!!!!"

A9: Strix replied: "There's really only two things you need (besides birds), binoculars and a bird book.

Binoculars can be kind of expensive, but you'l benefit from buying the best ones you can afford.

Good bird guides include Sibley, Kaufman, and Peterson.

Then just start in your yard figuring out what birds visit your yard. Then once you've got the common ones down, head to a nearby park and find some more. Different habitats, different places, and different seasons will bring different birds."





birdseed asked: "Can I download forms to participate and what is the website?"


A1: birdgirl replied: "Are you talking about the Backyard Bird Count?? It is this weekend, the 16th through the 19th. Here is a website for more info:
"

A2: bill b replied: "There may be something of use here."





cloeismycat asked: "and do you also have any birdfeeders out to attract any of the birds in your area? what sort of food do you use?"


A1: Gud signe vårt dyre fedreland! replied: "No, I have a life."

A2: Don replied: "we have pee wees, black cockatoo's, parakeets,crows,magpies. we have bird holes but don't leave seed out for them."

A3: Old but not Out replied: "Hi - we love the birds and we have similar i.e. magpies, lorikeets, currawongs (2 types), crested pigeons, turtle doves, cockatoos, mudlarks, wattle birds, butcher birds, indian mynahs, yellow tailed black cockatoos, gang gangs, galahs, and spotted swifts very high overhead the other day. We have birdfeeders and use fruit, oats, bread, wild bird seed."

A4: jordanl176 replied: "blue tits,great tits,coal tits,chaffinches,house sparrows,hedge sparrows/dunnock,jackdaws,crows,starlings,magpies,robins,nuthatches,blackbirds,collared doves,woodpigeons,jays,kestrels unfortunetly,sparrowhawks unfortunetly,gulls,.

bread for birds such as: jackdaws,crows,magpies.

pigeon corn for: woodpigeons,collared doves.

mixed seed for: blue tits,great tits,dunnocks,house sparrows,coal tits,robins,wrens,nuthatches,woodpigeons,
collared doves,blackbirds,chaffinches,

black sunflower seed for: blue tits,great tits,coal -tits,dunnocks,nuthatches,chaffinches.

fatballs for all of my birds except gulls.

nuts for:blue tits,great tits,coal -tits,nuthatches,chaffinches,house sparrows,starlings although jackdaws may have the ocasional nut.

water for all birds!.

and i also have a 35mm hole birdbox for great tits, blue tits,coal tits.


i hope that answers your question."

A5: MamaSmurf replied: "My husband and I love to watch the birds at our feeder. We use some kind of gourmet food he buys because they seem to like it better and eat more of it instead of wasting so much.We get all kinds of birds that migrate from the north here in the winter. (we are in Fl.) They stay for awhile and then continue to go further south. My very favorite bird is the Mockingbird. It's not a colorful bird like some, but it sings like crazy. Contstantly, it sounds so happy."

A6: birdgirl replied: "I have a suet feeder and a hummingbird feeder. I get Acorn Woodpeckers, White-breasted Nuthatches, Mountain Chickadees, Oak Titmice, Dark-eyed Juncos, Stellar's Jays, and Anna's Hummingbirds in my yard. The Mountain Quail come through once in a while too."

A7: BlueManticore replied: "I love to birdwatch. I have five feeders in my backyard by a pond in the south suburbs of Chicago that have attracted many birds, among them are:
Northern Cardinal
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
House Sparrow
Canada Goose
Mallard
Dark-eyed Junco
European Starling
Mourning Dove
Broad-winged Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Crow
Red-winged Blackbird
Ring-billed Gull
Common Grackle
House Finch
American Robin
Great Egret
Snow Goose
American Goldfinch
Eastern Meadowlark
Gray Catbird
White-crowned Sparrow
Gadwall
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Blue Jay
Fox Sparrow
Wood Duck
Downy Woodpecker
Belted Kingfisher
Sharped-shinned Hawk
Cooper's Hawk
Black-capped Chickadee
Chipping Sparrow
Green Heron
Grasshopper Sparrow
Rufous-sided Towhee
Louisiana Waterthrush"





lastchance asked: "This would be a present for someone else, and it is not something I know anything about, so I'd be really glad to have some suggestions!"


A1: Light Knight replied: "Check out Orions line of scopes. They have a good reputation for quality. This one seems to be well within your budget. You’d be under even if you add in a camera adapter.
A consideration might be what kind of bird watching they will be doing.
A tripod and a spotting scope such at this one are good for next watching or setting up in a blind. If your hiking and want one to carry around the woods, a lower magnification and lighter model would be less cumbersome."





riverotter1968 asked: "Something with a good zoom."


A1: fhotoace replied: "If you are looking for the least expensive camera with 12x zoom or better, look here "

A2: Bob B replied: "Take a look at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 8.1MP digital camera. It has an 18X Leica zoom. Great optics!!!! Can get you up close, where you want to be. And very reasonably priced."





Ulysse47 asked: "Biside being famoust as beach resort,Tunisia is offering more attractions,such as the culturel tourism,the desert & oasis experience,the thallasso therapy & fitness,the medical & plastic sugery,the congress & incentiv facilities,wild board hunting, but many travelers dont know about bird watching possibilities..in fact the geographical location of Tunisia is like a crossing stop from bird for birds from europe to africa and vice versa.There are many wet regions,lakes,and protected parks such " Ichkul " listed as protected park by UNESCO.
I wish you a happy new year,and hope that 2007 will be for all of us, health, wealth,well being in peace and properity .
Good morning L.trend,
Even not being a bird watches,I noticed that you had a nice holidays in Tunisia,I hope that y'll have more oppurtunities to visit such beautiful country is the near future.
To Igor,I desagree with you,may be because you did not visit the places where it's possible to watch diffrent variaty of birds,or you didn't choose the oppropriate time.My self i have a couple of timewith some ornthologist and they where very happy,in fact some of them when also to the desert for the same purpose.
In fact BBC Bristol brocasted few years ago programs about the birds in Tunisia.
Sorry Ivor, i wrote Igor by mistake,please to get the good information from the special travel agency and come for real bird watching tour,you'll like it that's for sure. welcome any time."


A1: Latest Trend replied: "I recently visited tunisia and experienced many of the excursions, the holiday reps had on offer from pirate boat around the coast of hammemet to the 2 day safari into the sahara desert, and experience of salt lakes, atlas mountains and the growth of dates in the oasises.

For myself, i am no bird watcher, but if you get offered any excursions, take them, it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. One that i have fond memories of.

p.s - look at my 360 blog for hotel review i stayed at, it is well recommended."

A2: Ivor Biggen replied: "As a trained orgologist I am clearly very interested in all birds.

You mention Tuniseea and I have to disagree with u on this one because when I last went on a bird spying holidays in Tuniss all the birds were covered up and i couldn't see nothin.

I went to a beach resort to see if there were any less covered variety availables for lookins at but f uck me nothin !!

I will try the deserts next for great t its and stuffings like that but I'd really fancy a shag ( this is a sea bird with long necks ).

Failings this excursiooness I would like a wood pecker to chip away at my wood anyways it fancieses.

I do hope our paths crosses before too long and that we may all three enjoy lookin at birds chicken kebabs in togethers."





Tubby scrap metal asked: "Evil 6ft Cassawarri attacked my friend - Kicked straight over his head & went for more..He managed to roll down an embankment and into a creek with the Giant bird type of prehistoric killing machine wrapped around him - I burst it bad bahaha but it was very dangerous for him.
Do these birds always attack people??? -
My mate is Big & I'm sure they could kill someone?"


A1: John D replied: "Wow never knew such a bird exists, I thought all of the large fowl die off years ago. Yeah I would say that would be an extreme sport all right. I don't know if I would go around those birds though sounds dangerous."

A2: margecutter replied: "These birds are extremely agressive and territorial; there are many reports of them attacking humans. If you are out bird-watching, or just hiking, in an area where you may encounter cassowaries, stay alert! You are correct - their kick can kill!"

A3: Jack P replied: "Hmmmm. When I've asked questions on YQA attempting to find ways to protect free ranging poultry from raptor and owl attacks it's been explained to me in loving detail by bird lovers that I mustn't do anything to disturb the natural behavior of the wild creature.

I'd conclude if you are attacked by a Cassowary you mustn't defend yourself. Let nature do whatever is required to fulfill its inclinations."

A4: Katherine/Eric G replied: "Not sure if they ALWAYS attack but there have been many cases documented. they are aggressive if stsrtled or defending their territory. Yes they can kill you by kicking the head or gutting you with a kick."

A5: dennssinned replied: "cassowaries are dangerous..they prefer to run unless you startled it or it has a nest near by"





thewitchlinda asked: "Are there any trustworthy tour operators that offer a guided bird watching trip to Kolleru lake and its environs? Would appreciate the contact details... Thanks"


A1: MSC replied: "Would suggest to post this question under India specific category.

BTW I found a good site with info on the lake at"





Trinisoccer asked: "My family and I are in to exotic birds and wildlife. We heard of the beautiful birds in your islands. We are leaving our London villa to not only enjoy your culture but would looooovee to do Bird Watching..

Where can we go, and would it be possible to get a guide?
Should we pack our English Grey tea bags or can we buy them there?

We heard so much about the beauty of you lands and can't wait to get there.

Tar, Tar....."


A1: AccessDenied replied: "well there is the Caroni Bird Santury, u can book a boat tour where ur sure to see alot of wildlife birds, flowers and animals,

Then there is the Wild Fowl Trust in Pointe-a-Pierre, that place is in the Petrotrin compound the birds there are in abundance. Pointe-a-Pierre Wildfowl Trust Address
San Fernando, Trinidad
Tel: 868-628-4145 Fax: 868-658-2513

^^u can call them in advance to make an appointment"

A2: ~Friggy Frigg wants pullorie ~ replied: "You can try the wild fowl trust or Caroni bird sanctuary :) Have fun & enjoy :):)"

A3: julien replied: "doh forget Asa Wright NAture Centre. Also in Tobago with de oldest Reserve yuh cud watch birds till yuh grow feathers.
Forget de English Grey man we have dat in stores here or yuh cud try some bush tea"

A4: curious! replied: "Trinidad is great for bird watching! We have the Asa Wright Centre, Caroni Bird Sanctuary, Wild Fowl Trust, Emperor Valley Zoo, and a plethora of other nature reserves spread throughout the country! Truly Marvellous!!

English Teas you say, well we have a huge selection at various groceries, so it won't be hard to find!!! Why what a coincidence! Just last week I was by my old chap and we sipped on Darjeeling Tea and hot buttered scones and she asked about the same type of tea you are enquiring about!!

Take a sneak peek at some pictures from Asa Wright Centre!

Another great place to check out birds - Tobago Main Ridge Forrest"

A5: hottadanpepa replied: "those are all very good answers, however if you need a guide, call meh. any opportunity to reach Tobago and i dey.

You have:
Asa wright
Wild Fowl Trust
Caroni Swamp
Little Tobago
and pass the Waterfall in Tobago dey.

PS. dont bother with the Earl Grey, English Breakfast, Darjeeling Himalaya, and every thing else you could possibly need. Call meh, i in d book under "Desperate to get to Tobago""





Ashley asked: "i want to say....
Bird watching is also very popular"


A1: katrina replied: "observando pajaros es muy popular en la comunidad gay. lol"

A2: ms_impishsoul replied: "Bird watching is very popular = Observar aves es muy popular

A more formal word is ornithology = ornitología. This is actually a branch of zoology. It's more studying birds than just watching them.

C."





lilacmickey asked: "Something smallish and the isbn number if possible."


A1: Andrew O replied: "Here is a good guide for beginners.
Audubon Handbook: Western Birds (Paperback)
ISBN-10: 0070199779
ISBN-13: 978-0070199774

I used one very much like this to learn with when I was a kid. Good for adults as well though."

A2: oikos replied: "I am not a fan of the Audubon series of field guides. The Peterson series is far better, IMHO."





Hotflash queen asked: "I live in Northeast Georgia. I would like to identify the different birds in our area, specifically at my feeders. What would be the best book I could purchase that would offer pictures? I'm only interested in birds of my area."


A1: ____ replied: "Any one by Peterson. I have the one for Northeast and it is amazing. I learned so much. This one might be a good one for you to start with A Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern and Central North America. It has maps, and pictures."

A2: Replace replied: "I am not aware of any bird guide books restricted to birds of Georgia or the Southeast US.

There are many books of identification and description of US birds. I use the field guides by Audubon and National Geographic.

You might contact the National Aviary for advice, (www.aviary.org ) or your state fish and wildlife agency, or even the nearest chapter of Audubon Society."

A3: Phoenix replied: "For birds restricted only in Georgia, I would reccommend:

OR


For birds all around North America,

Best of luck,
Phoenix"

A4: Aurican H replied: "The best book for birding, bar none, is the Sibley guide to birds. It has images of all the birds in the US, where they are found and during what seasons, their calls, etc. And most importantly (and what makes it better than any other bird book I've found) is that it has -really- accurate drawings of all the birds in different positions and during different stages of life: flying, roosting, the shape they make when flying, what the color morphs are when they're juveniles, adults first year, adult, male, female, variations, highlights on what makes them different from another bird that similar (like pointing out a darker nape or belly, or a longer supercilium, etc.) It's excellent! No other book has all the different morphs. Most I've found have either one photo (while good, the photo is generally of the bird roosting/perching and that's NOT how I see a lot of birds, I see them flying so it makes it near impossible to identify) and the photo doesn't point out its markings or specifics or what it looks like at different phases, or one painting, which has the same problems as the photo. The Sibley guides one downside is that its large so if you're hiking its a bit cumbersome. I've heard Petereson's is good, but it has the pitfall of having few images to work off of and use to identify and again, they are in one pose- either flying or roosting so it makes it impossible to identify a lot of times. I also have the Audubon guides, and those are missing birds that the Sibley guide has and are only photos of birds roosting and not in different plumages. I never use them except for drawing references for color because they're terrible.

Get Sibley off Amazon.com, its half price (17 bucks as opposed to 35!)
"

A5: birdgirl replied: "Go for a Sibleys or National Geographic bird field guide. I like these better than the Petersons, because the drawings are much better and the range maps are located right next to the birds drawing. In the Petersons guides you have to flip to the back of the book for maps which can be a time consuming."

A6: Cville replied: "I agree with the previous posters about the Sibley Guide. Many times I have returned home and looked up a puzzling bird, and I can't tell you how many times it was Sibley, not the others, in which I finally saw the picture that clinched it for me.
Also, I depend on a slim book with great photos called Warblers of the Great Lakes Region and Eastern North America by Chris Earley. It has side-by-side photos of warblers in their spring plumage, and also pages of the same in their fall plumage; it's helped me ID so many confusing fall warblers here in Virginia. Good birding to you!"





Aoi S asked: "Recently, I just enjoy watching birds in national parks. I plan to have a telescope for bird-watching, a practical and a small one, so I can put it in my bag when walking across the national park. Please give me some advice to buy the kind of telescope (the good one), e.g. its name, size, etc, I really don't know, cause I'm only a beginner in bird-watching. Thank you."


A1: Naruto replied: "I think only regular telescope is good enough or you could go to a telescope company and custom-make one"

A2: The Tai-Pan replied: "Preferably something wide angled,It can be hard finding them in a narrow field of view.
Question,does it have to be a telescope couldn't you use binoculars something in a 25 X 50 range works for me whale spotting.Bigger animal yes but bigger distances too."

A3: birdgirl replied: "If you are a beginner, I suggest binoculars. Scopes are usually used for birds that are stationary...such as shorebirds, or waterfowl. Usually people who are advanced birdwatchers eventually purchase a scope when they want to learn to ID more difficult species such as shorebirds, gulls, etc. If you are watching songbirds, raptors, etc..binoculars are the best. I would suggest Eagle Optics. The 8x42 Rangers are a good deal..they are very good quality for the price."





mouse asked: "Someone gave me a bird feeder a long time ago, and I became facinated with watching birds, Hawks Herons, and Chickadees. So I was curious, anyone else out there love 'em like me?"


A1: Chloe replied: "Yes! I have seen an Eagle very exciting and very beautiful."

A2: replied: "oh yes, i love 'em !!

But my Best Friend is tottally crazy for birds !!

He invites me all the time to go hiking to watch wild birds...

He took lots of pics of them...

Take Care !"

A3: morgan . replied: "Yes i have gotten very excited bird watching. when i went to Yellowstone National Park i went white water wrafting and i seen many eagles. and at my house during the winter the cardinals look beautiful! its amazing!"

A4: KitKat replied: "I love bird watching ever since we moved to the "woods". There are so many species here that I never saw before."

A5: msjamalan replied: "i just love parrots. I know one which makes the noise of the phone and everyone is tricked by it (they think the phone is ringing). And i just love the way they just open their beaks slightly and any form of noise comes out without the beak shaking. Absolutely fascinating."

A6: Strigidae replied: "You have GOT to read "The Big Year" by Mark Obmascik.

."

A7: sdkramer76 replied: "The Heron is my favorite wild bird. I fell in love with them when I was a kid and I spent time down at my Grandma's house in Florida. She had a little jungle of sorts behind her house, and the birds that would come and go there were amazing. We don't have the type of birds that they do in Florida here in Michigan, and it was so fascinating to me.

I also love the Bluebird and the Chickadees...LOL"

A8: Jusme replied: "Yep! Nothing more exciting than watching birds. Love the feathers. That is why I keep birds."





Trust me, I'm a Doctor ♥ asked: "I can't seem to find question/answer section for bird watching, the feathered kind :) Its a very popular hobby but its not to do with pet birds so I don't know where else to look."


A1: WÛ°ÛªÛ«IÛ°Û«ÛªÛ«ÛªÛ«ÛªÛ«NÛ°Û«ÛªÛ«ÛªÛ«ÛªÛ«NÛ°ÛªÛ«IÛªÛ°ÛªÛ«E replied: "Just ask here."

A2: JAMSEY POO replied: "sorry, just the bird section, nothing that specific"

A3: Tyla Mac replied: "I love birdwatching too. This is definitely meant for pet birds though. Maybe if enough people ask Yahoo they'll make section for us birders. We could also start a group in Y groups if there isn't one already."

A4: birdgirl replied: "Most people ask those question here or in the zoology forum. I have suggested to YA that they make a specific bird watching or ornithology section...but it has yet to happen."





silversand56 asked: "I like things in nature and do not want to miss any waterfalls or caverns or high lookout points. I have heard the bird watching walks are great in this area of the US. Have you experienced this area??"


A1: sherriemcginty replied: "Wander through the narrow, winding streets of Bisbee and up some of its steep hills. Bisbee has a plethora of small interesting shops to browse. We will don on our miner’s gear and headlamps for a tour deep into the heart of a copper mine. The mine tour includes a visit to the Lavender Pit.
[[[Bird Watching]]] & Wildlife Refuges top
Patagonia/Sonoita Creek Sanctuary- For birds and other wildlife. Birdwatchers from around the world come to observe more than 250 Southwestern & Mexican bird species which visit this 312 acre nature conservancy. 520-394-2400

Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge- Located North of Rio Rico, take I-19 to Exit 44. Follow Arivaca Road to the town of Arivaca. Turn South on Ruby Road. 520-823-4251

Ramsey Canyon Preserve - Sierra Vista - Bird watching and cabins. Operated by the Nature Conservancy. One of Arizona's most famous birding hotspots. Look for hummingbirds, painted red starts and Mexican rarities. Access limited to 14 cars. 520-378-2785

Ramsey Canyon Preserve - Modern camping and picnicking facilities, including fresh water hydrants and restrooms. Small store and boat rentals.

Lake Patagonia- A favorite fishing spot, as well as a popular swimming beach. Row boats for fishing and paddle boats for play are available to rent. A trail will take you past Indian petroglyphs. Take highway 82 south to Patagonia. 520-287-6965

ASARCO Mineral Discovery Center - ASARCO mine museum and mine tour in Sahuarita's Calabasas Park. 520-625-7513



Ghost Towns top
During the silver boom in the 19th Century, such towns as Harshaw, Mowry, Washington Camp, Duquesne and Lochiel dotted the landscape of the Patagonia Mountains. All are ruins today, but accessible from Harshaw Road, leading out of Patagonia on Hwy 82.

Ghost Town Trail - Head east from Tombstone on the historic trail about 15 miles out is Gleeson, the first of three Ghost Towns. Continue on the trail heading north and you will find Courtland, and then Pearce. The thriving mining towns of the early 1900s are now all but vacant. Travel back in time to see old adobe homes, saloons, and jail houses...if you aren't too scared of a few ghosts."

A2: muncie birder replied: "Did you say BIRDWATCHING? This is one of the very best places in the U S A to see birds. Here are the places to go:

Patagonia. about 30 miles south. Just south of town on SR 82 is Patagonia Sonoita Creek Preserve. Not to be missed. They do have birding walks there. Gilded Flicker, Bridled Titmoouse, Cactus wren, verdin, curve-billed thrasher, rufous crowned sparrow, gambels quail, common ground dove, roadrunner, says phoebes, Mexican jay, canyon and Aberts towhees, lesser goldfinch, and more.

In Patagonia, stop by the Patons' house and check out the hummingbird feeders in the back yard. Ask how to get there at the general store-gas station. You can't miss it. It is the only store in town. And the Patagonia roadside rest--best place to find rose throated becard. It is a little further south of town.

Next go down I-19 to exit 63 and head east on county road 63--east White House Canyon Dr. 23.5 miles south of I-10. When you come to cr 70 (Madera Canyon Rd) on the right take it. Stop at Florida Wash mp 8 (just after the 3rd one lane bridge) and check out the birds. There are nomally a good variety there. Walk down the wash for about a 1/2 mile. After that back to the car and continue up to Madera Canyon. Check out the hummingbird feeders at Santa Rita Lodge and take the trail to Bog Springs. Stricklands woodpeckers are here.

Now for the best of all! Cave Creek Canyon. Getting there from Tuscon requires a little work. There is the scenic route and the more scenic route. The 1st requires taking I-10 to New Mexico and the right on sr 80 just over the border. Head on down south to Rodeo. In Rodeo is benders thrasher, but I could not find it. Check the town dump. Rodeo has the only gasoline around so if you need it get it here and hang the cost. Scaled quail, Inca doves, and great tailed grackles are here. Not to mention western kingbirds by the dozen.

The road to Portal heads west out of Rodeo. It is about 8 miles. The first place to check is Stoffords's house. They have 30 bird feeders in their back yard. Ask in the Portal store how to get there. Next walk down S. Fork of Cave Creek Canyon Rd. slowly to the picknic area and beyond. Black throated gray warblers are easy. Birding is great here. Finally, you do not want to miss Rustler Park. It is about 15 miles up the mountain. It is the only place to find Mexican chicadee. yellow eyed juncos are all over the place. You should also find olive warbler here.

To take the more scenic route back to Tuscon just keep going. You will wind up in Chircahua Nat. Monument. Interesting."